Mountain Rides is the full-service public transportation provider for Blaine County Idaho, which includes the communities of Sun Valley, Ketchum, Hailey, Bellevue, and Carey. Mountain Rides is the one-stop shop for ways to get around without driving solo including:
Free Town bus
- 3 year round routes and 4 peak season routes for Ketchum and Sun Valley
- Deviated fixed route service for Hailey
- Bus to Twin Falls (non-emergency medical transportation) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
- Valley Route connecting Bellevue, Hailey, Ketchum, and Sun Valley
- Van routes for communities of Twin Falls and Shoshone
Safe Routes to School
- Biking and Walking program for the elementary and middle schools
Special Needs Demand Response
- For those that qualify under Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Wally Morgus – Executive Director
Wally joined Mountain Rides as Executive Director in April 2018. Since 2000, he has lived in the Wood River Valley, working in the private sector, as well as the public sector, most fittingly as Executive Director of the Blaine County Recreation District. At Mountain Rides, Wally leads and supports the agency in its advocacy for and operating of a safe, efficient, solvent, and sustainable multi-modal transportation network that advances social, economic, environmental, and mobility benefits to residents, visitors, and communities throughout Blaine County. Wally shares a home with his wife, Helen, in the mid-valley. Look for him exercising his multi-modal mobility options, pedaling along the Bike Path or a safe route or byway through a neighborhood near you. Mountain Rides: Try, try, try, let it ride! …because it’s the journey that matters!
Jerry Garcia – Manager, Finance & Administration
Kim MacPherson – Director of Communications
Kim joined Mountain Rides in December 2011 as the Administrative Support Coordinator. Kim really likes finding ways for people to use the bus. She graduated from the University of New Hampshire with a business administration degree. She lives in Hailey and enjoys working in her garden or riding her bike when she is not working.
Jamie Canfield – Director of Transit Operations
Jamie joined Mountain Rides in 2019 after living in the valley for ten years. He enjoys driving and providing a safe and efficient way for people to get around in the Wood River Valley. He not only drives a bus, but rides the bus daily as a passenger. “I believe the best way to get around in this valley is to ride the bus. I believe that Mountain Rides provides an unparalleled service to our community.”
Carlos Tellez – Director, Fleet, Maintenance & Facilities
Carlos is our full-time ace mechanic in the shop, fixing all of our mechanical problems with a huge smile on his face! He adds a fresh outlook to our staff while working extremely hard to solve the toughest problems. He also loves to grow peppers and restore his old Ford pick-up truck.
Carlos Tellez – Mechanic
Jose has worked at Mountain Rides for 10 years. He would like to see Mountain Rides succeed and grow and become a very important part of the community. His favorite places to eat in Ketchum are Perry’s for lunch and the Pioneer Saloon for dinner.
A full-time driver that truly enjoys driving riders to their destination, she has a first-class safety record and a helpful personality. In her off time, Hortencia loves to spend time with her family.
Bill has worked for Mountain Rides for over 17 years and now works full time for Mountain Rides. He loves skiing and single track bike riding, making Sun Valley a perfect place for him to live.
Working for Mountain Rides
Thank you for your interest in employment with Mountain Rides Transportation Authority. Every day Mountain Rides’ employees make a difference in their public service to the Wood River Valley. We’re seeking high-caliber team players who share our values and our drive to be the “Best in the West.” Mountain Rides is committed to providing excellent employment opportunities for talented, passionate individuals that enjoy being part of an innovative, results-oriented organization that is growing and expanding. Mountain Rides is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all qualified individuals to apply.
Fill out an application and drop off at our offices at 800 1st Ave N, Ketchum. EOE
Each job opening is listed with a job description that describes the duties, responsibilities and qualifications for the position. If you are interested in a job that is not currently open, you may send an application for the position and it will be held for up to one year. You will be notified via email when the job opens for recruitment.
Applicants are advised that Mountain Rides is a drug-free workplace and pre-employment drug tests and background checks are required by the Department of Transportation.
For driving positions, applicants must be 21 years of age or older, and possess a valid, unrestricted Idaho Drivers License and a clean driving record. If you do not currently have a Class B license Commercial Drivers License (CDL), Mountain Rides does provide training for applicants who qualify. Driving positions are usually part time to start. Full-time employees are eligible for benefits.
Resumes, Cover Letters, and/or Applications can be sent to:
Mail: Mountain Rides Transportation Authority
PO Box 3091
Ketchum, ID 83340
Equal Opportunity Statement
Mountain Rides is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws. Mountain Rides will make reasonable efforts to accommodate persons with disabilities or for religious reasons. Please advise Mountain Rides of any special needs in advance of employment.
Mountain Rides Transportation Authority is committed to compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and all related regulations and directives. Mountain Rides Transportation Authority assures that no person shall on the grounds of race, color, national origin, gender, age, or disability be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any ITD service, program, or activity. The department also assures that every effort will be made to prevent discrimination through the impacts of its programs, policies, and activities on minority and low-income populations. In addition, the department will take reasonable steps to provide meaningful access to services for persons with Limited English Proficiency. For questions, please call 208-788-7433 for meaningful access to services for persons with Limited English Proficiency.
Statement of Purpose:
Mountain Rides provides and supports a full range of transportation alternatives* for Blaine County and adjacent communities that are safe, user oriented, environmentally friendly,economically sustainable and supportive of a strong local economy.
1. Provide and advocate for a well-funded transportation system that reduces the number of single occupancy vehicle trips and meet the needs of our communities.
2. Promote knowledge and increase awareness of the social, financial, environmental and community benefits of transportation alternatives*.
3. Promote regional cooperation on transportation issues.
*Alternatives include, but are not limited to, walking, biking, rideshare, vanpool, carshare, bikeshare, fixed route bus, paratransit demand response, custom bus, commuter bus, transportation planning and transportation counseling.
Policies, Plans, Financial Statements
- This service is provided for lawful, personal use only. You may not use it for any other reason or resell any aspect of this service. You must not use this service to transmit any material or perform any other action which would be in violation of any applicable law or regulation or the rights of any third party. Any use not authorized above is strictly prohibited.
- Mountain Rides shall have the right, but not the duty, to monitor, intercept, and disclose any transmissions over or using this service, and to provide user information, use records, and other related information to appropriate authorities under certain circumstances (for example, in response to lawful process, orders, subpoenas, or warrants, or to protect the interests of Mountain Rides).
- There are certain privacy and security risks inherent in the use of an open wireless network. You acknowledge that, by use of this service, your device could be exposed to viruses or other harmful applications and that your device or files could be accessed or monitored by third parties. You acknowledge that you are solely responsible for providing security measures that are suited to your intended use of the service. Mountain Rides does not guarantee the security of this service or the privacy of any data.
- Mountain Rides may implement content filtering services which block access to certain websites or content through the service (“Content Filtering”). Mountain Rides is not liable to you for any acts, omissions, performance or non-performance, related to the Content Filtering. Examples of content that Content Filtering may block, includes, without limitation, content that:
- 1. Could cause Mountain Rides to be in breach of any federal or state law, rule, regulation, code or instrument which governs its conduct or to incur a liability to any third person or entity;
- 2. Could interfere with the integrity and/or performance of the service or Mountain Rides’ other networks or equipment;
- 3. Depicts, alludes to or promotes offensive or illegal behavior;
- 4. Is patently offensive or promotes racism, sexism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual;
- 5. Harasses or advocates harassment of another person;
- 6. Exploits people in a sexual or violent manner;
- 7. Contains nudity, violence, or offensive subject matter or which may contain links to adult websites;
- 8. Promotes conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libelous;
- 9. Promotes an illegal or unauthorized copy of another person’s copyrighted work (including but not limited to file sharing applications, or any other Bit-Torrent or peer-to-peer applications);
- 10. Involves the transmission of “junk mail,” “chain letters,” or unsolicited mass mailing, instant messaging or “spamming”;
- 11. Furthers or promotes any criminal activity or enterprise or provides instructional information about illegal activities including, but not limited to making or buying illegal weapons, violating someone’s privacy, or providing or creating computer viruses;
- 12. Contains any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots, Easter eggs or other computer programming routines that may damage, modify, delete, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept, access without authority, or expropriate any system, data or personal information;
- 13. Uses sexually suggestive imagery or any other inappropriate, misleading or deceptive content;
- 14. Streaming services and other applications or websites that require significant streaming of data; and
- 15. High bandwidth operations, such as large file transfers, application installs or operating system updates and patches.
- Mountain Rides does not make any warranties or guarantees regarding this service or any content or information accessed by use of this service. THIS SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS, AND YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. MOUNTAIN RIDES HEREBY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGMENT AND TITLE, AND ANY WARRANTIES ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE, OR TRADE PRACTICE. MOUNTAIN RIDES DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICE WILL PERFORM AT A PARTICULAR SPEED OR THAT IT WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, ERROR-FREE, OR SECURE.
- Limitation of Liability. You acknowledge and agree that MOUNTAIN RIDES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM ARISING OUT OF, RELATED TO, OR IN ANY WAY INVOLVING USE OF THIS SERVICE, unless the claim directly results from an intentional, willful, or wanton act by Mountain Rides. ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR NEGLIGENCE IN PROVIDING OR SECURING THIS SERVICE IS EXPRESSLY PRECLUDED. MOUNTAIN RIDES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, OR LOST PROFITS, WHETHER FORESEEABLE OR UNFORESEEABLE, THAT ARISE OUT OF, RELATE TO, OR IN ANY WAY INVOLVE USE OF THIS SERVICE.
- Indemnification. You agree to hold harmless and indemnify Mountain Rides from and against any third party claim arising from, related to, or in any way involving your use of this service, including any liability, losses, damages (actual and consequential), suits, judgments, litigation costs, and attorney fees, of any kind or nature.